This year’s theme: Do It Yourself Bicycle Friendly Communities.
On Saturday, October 4th the Peterborough Bicycle Advisory Committee (P-BAC) is hosting the Fourth Peterborough and the Kawarthas Cycling Summit. This year’s summit, which features a concurrent Youth Bike Summit is about how citizens can get engaged in creating the kind of bicycle friendly community they want.
“Many local cyclists envision Peterborough city and county as a bicycle friendly region. Increasingly, community decision-makers are recognizing the tangible benefits of cycling to our citizens, our economic development, and our environment. Together, we have created the momentum to move Peterborough forward towards a gold-level Bicycle Friendly Community. People Powered: DIY Bicycle Friendly Communities is our 2014 theme.”
The aim of the summit to provide the knowledge and the know-how for citizens to make their cycling needs, interests and concerns known. Join P-BAC and other Peterborough and area cyclists for a day of inspiration, tool-sharing and community-building!
Morning sessions include three short cycling tours and a movie screening:
- Connecting to Nature through Cycling
- Looking Back to Cycle Forward
- Bicycle Friendly City Tour
- “Bike CityGreat City”, Film Screening & Facilitated Workshop
The official Summit Opening at 1:30, followed by sessions on:
- The Business Case For Bikes
- Can Cycling Help Build Main Street Economies?
- Bikes Mean Business: How Attracting Cyclists Can Help Your Bottom Line and Transform
- Business Leaders into Cycling Advocates
- Preparing For the Next Generation of Cyclists
- Pedal Power: Cycling education for youth in your schools
- Cycling Into The Future
- Active Neighbourhoods Canada: How Participatory Planning Empowers Communities
- Strategies for Effective Cycling Advocacy in Ontario |
The Summit closes out with a Keynote Session:
Biking Is For Everyone: How to make your community bike friendly
The keynote will be delivered by Dave Cieslewicz, a.k.a, “Citizen Dave”, two term mayor of Madison, Wisconsin where he set the city on a path for Platinum status as one of the best biking cities in North America.
The summit is a great event. Each year participants have learned about what we need to make Peterborough and the surrounding area a better place for all cyclists.
To register, go to the registration page at Peterborough Bicycle Advisory Committee (P-BAC). Admission is free.
See you there!